Rawreth Parish Council

Minutes of the Meetings of Rawreth Parish Council held during 2018

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF RAWRETH PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 7th February 2018 AT 7.30pm AT THE VILLAGE HALL RAWRETH

                                          Present: Cllr. A Matthews

                                                     Cllr. P Beckers

                                                     Cllr. Mrs M Beckers

                                                     Cllr.  C Stanley

                                                     Cllr. Mrs S Wiltshire

                                                     Cllr. M Collins

 

In Attendance:  The Clerk, 3 members of the public, District Councillors Ron Oatham and Craig Cannell

 

183.  RECEIVE APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE. Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Steve Coombs.

 

184. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST. Cllr Chris Stanley declared his position as a District Councillor.

 

185. TO APPROVE MINUTES OF LAST MEETING. Minutes of the meeting held on the 3rd of January 2018 were approved by the Members and accordingly the Chairman signed them as a true copy

 

186. MATTERS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. The Clerk advised Members that she had been in contact with Essex Police regarding the funding of a Special Constable for the Parish. The Clerk explained the scheme in detail to Members, she advised that the minimum hours worked would be 16 and that the cost to the Council very much depended on the hours that the constable worked but that the maximum would be around £1000 per annum based on them working 40 hours per month, therefore this figure could be significantly less at around £300 if only minimum hours were worked. The Clerk advised that the officers hold a full warrant card, are only allocated to the Parish but may be called out of the area if needed for an urgent incident, they are not given a vehicle and would need a base for equipment. The Clerk advised that Essex Police do all the advertising and recruitment and have to visit the Parish first to see if they qualify for the scheme in terms of location and a base for equipment. The Clerk advised that training has to be undertaken, which can take anywhere from 3 months to 2 years depending on how much time the applicant can give up to train as most are in fulltime paid employment, however those working part time or in retirement can also apply, they only restriction is they an applicant must be aged 18 or over. The Clerk advised that all officers are governed by the CPT so no direct instructions would come from the Council.  Members discussed the information the Clerk had given and agreed that this is something they would like to explore further and asked the Clerk to contact Essex Police to start the initial process.

 

187. VILLAGE REPORT- The following matters around the Parish were mentioned, where necessary the Clerk will investigate.

a. The Street lights not working outside numbers 1-2 Clerks Cottages should be completed by the 7th of March.

b. The street lights on the A1245 are now working.

c. A lot of activity on the Traveller site on the A1245, and there is a lot of rubbish being thrown over the front fence adjoining the A1245 which is a real hazard and should be reported to environmental health as it mounting up and not being cleared.

d. Laburnum Way, light number 1 is not working.

e. Highways have been informed about the road drains in Church Road, they are going to investigate the camber of the road and the drainage system.

f. There are not timetables up for the new bus service, Cllr Beckers will ensure these are done.

g. The bushes at Goose Cottages have been cut on the outside of the green but not on the inside.

h. A mattress was dumped outside the Community Garden, RDC have cleared it.

i. Lot of rubbish being dumped in Old London Road and Beeches Road.

j. An illegal traveller encampment in Basildon will be move imminently so everyone needs to be vigilant.

 

 

 

k. Parking on the Road outside both the Academy Soccer pitches and Rayleigh Boys pitches in Old London Road is a real problem. 3 residents contacted the Clerk.

l. There have been a number of burglaries in the Parish during the last month with a equipment tools and machinery being stolen.

 

188. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT. Cllr Ron Oatham introduced the new District Councillor Craig Cannell to everyone and Craig was welcomed to the Meeting and congratulated on his election result.  Cllr Oatham then spoke about two RDC Public consultations that are currently open, or will be shortly,  the first is the call for sites which is for landowners to put forward sites that they wish to see developed across the District, the second is the issues and Options consultation document.  Cllr Oatham then spoke about the ECC Public consultation for the Fairglen Interchange proposed changes that the public are urged to reply to.  Cllr Oatham then said he had recently been handed a map of the Downhall and Rawreth Ward which shows how dispersed the Parish is. Finally Cllr Oatham advised that Rayleigh TC have agreed to sign up to the Essex Police Special Constable scheme. Cllr Stanley then spoke about the parking for the football pitches in Old London Road and said that he had made a request to RDC to find out what if any restrictions were imposed for both the Rayleigh Boys and Academy Soccer regarding parking.  Cllr Stanley then spoke about the Fairglen Interchange proposals and stated that the plans do not show the flood risks, he said that the agents had advised that there would be 3 ponds to hold the water but these are not shown on the plans, however the impression they gave was that the risk of flooding was being taken very seriously.

 

189. FINANCE.

a. Cheques for approval.

CHQ 100938 H L Bloomfield Expenses £223.01 Approved and signed.

CHQ 100939 H L Bloomfield Expenses £24.74 Approved and signed.

CHQ 100940 H R Wallingford LTD Suds Training £358.80 Approved and signed.

CHQ 100941 H L Bloomfield Expenses £58.49 Approved and signed.

CHQ 100942 NWG Business Water Rates £22.16 Approved and signed.

 

b. Members agreed and accordingly a new standing order mandate was signed for the Clerks salary.

 

c. Members discussed a new cheque signing mandate and agreed that it was sensible to have 4 registered signatories with the bank, of which any 2 would be needed for cheques and mandates. It was proposed that Cllr Stanley and Cllr Collins be added as signatories and this was unanimously agreed. Accordingly the mandate was completed and signed and the Clerk confirmed she would take this to bank.

 

190. PARISH REPRESENATIVES TO OUTSIDE BODIES.  Due to medical grounds Cllr Paul Beckers advised that with regret he would no longer be able to represent the Council on either the RHALC or Public Transport. He further advised that Cllr Mary Beckers would also be stepping down as a representative on the RHALC, Members discussed who the new representatives should be and it was proposed and agreed by all those present that Cllr Matthews would be the new RHALC representative with Cllr Stanley as deputy, and Cllr Collins would be the Parish Transport representative. The Clerk confirmed she would notify both groups of the changes.

 

191. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION-

a. The Environment Agency have put a machine in the North Benfleet Brook and the Chichester Brook to clear it out and cut the vegetation back, they’ve made a good job of it and it should really help.

b. A formal complaint has been made to RDC regarding Cllr Hazelwood and his behaviour at a recent meeting when flooding the in the Parish was discussed.

c. There is still no padlock on the gate in Church Road and lorries and vans are continuing to use it as a cut through.

d. When cars are parking in Old London Road for the football, both carparks have spaces.

e. Peter Plummer felt disappointed that at a recent meeting he attended as Chairman of the Rawreth Flood Action Group with ECC and the Parish Council regarding the Laburnum Way culvert he wasn’t able to explain more or point more things out to the ECC officers.

f. A meeting has been requested with the Environment Agency regarding the water courses.

g. There was recently a bad fire at stables in St Johns Drive, 7 appliances attended and the fire services were fantastic however there is concern that there is no mains hydrant for the properties the nearest one was on the main London Road, what is the standard requirement for a water hydrant?

 

192. GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE (to note). Letter from St Nicholas Church regarding the Organ restoration, Cllr Matthews and Cllr Collins confirmed they will attend the concert.

 

 

 

 

193. FLOODING IN THE PARISH- The Clerk advised that following the January Meeting, and the meeting that took place on the 5th of January 2018 between representatives of ECC, Rawreth Parish Council and Rawreth Flood Action Group, she had emailed Cllr Simon Walsh at ECC to request that a long awaited meeting between the Flood Action Group and the SuDS team take place, the Clerk advised that her email had gone not been acknowledged and had still not been replied to. Members asked the Clerk to email Cllr Walsh again, copying The Rt Hon Mark Francois MP into the email.

 

194. LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK PROPOSALS AND THE ALLOCATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT DOCUMENTS AND PLANS Members discussed at length the Issues and Options consultation document written by RDC and open to public consultation. The Council agreed on their replies to the document and the Clerk was asked to submit these to RDC.  

 

195. UPDATES REGARDING ENFORCEMENT CASES IN THE PARISH and REPORTED PROBLEMS BEING MONITORED IN THE PARISH.

a. Land to the West of the Pumping Station. No update to report.

b. Land Drain London Road (adjacent to Claremont) No update or progress to report with regards to the problem with the land drain disgorging onto the pavement.

c. Travellers Site (A1245). No update or progress to report with regards to Enforcement following the appeal hearing decision given on the 7th of December 2011. 

d. Old London Road Speed Restrictions and other matters. This matter is to be referred to the Cabinet Member for Highways.

e. Beeches Road Weight Restrictions and Beeches Road and Watery Lane Flooding. Council to discuss any developments regarding Beeches Road/Watery Lane.  Cllr Matthews advised that two HGV have been prosecuted for ignoring the weight restriction imposed in Beeches Road. .

f. Bedloes Avenue. No updates to report with regards to the Council’s request for an off street parking area in Bedloes Avenue.

g. Laburnum Culvert. See item 192.

 

196. TO RECEIVE REPRESENTATIVES WRITTEN REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED. Members were handed copies of the plans from the recently attended presentation by Cllr Matthews and Cllr Stanley for the proposed Fairglen Interchange works.

 

197. RHALC. Cllr Beckers confirmed he was unable to attend the meeting.

 

198. PARISH EMERGENCY PLAN- The Clerk advised that she is progressing the Parish Emergency Plan.

 

199. COMMUNITY GARDEN- The Clerk confirmed that James Pinkerton will undertake works to tidy up the hedges and bushes around Bedloes Avenue and the Councils three bus stops.  Cllr Matthews advised that Battlesbridge Locks are no longer residing in the Parish and as such the land around the Village Sign has not been kept of late. Members requested that the Clerk contact James to ask him to remove the sponsors sign from the fence and give the area a general tidy and maintain it as part of the Councils contract thereafter.

 

200.  TRAINING- The Clerk advised Members that she had details of available training courses.

 

 201. REINSTATEMENT OF FOOTPATHS/BRIDLE WAYS IN THE PARISH. None updates to report.

 

202. PLANNING MATTERS- There were no planning applications received prior to the Meeting which had not been dealt with under Delegated Power.

 

203.THE NUMBER 1 AND NUMBER 3 BUS SERVICE. Members reported that the buses are running, they look very smart and timetables will now be displayed in the bus shelters.

 

204. RE CAP OF AGENDA ITEMS ON WHICH THE PUBLIC MAY WISH TO COMMENT. None.

 

205. ITEMS FOR NEXT AGENDA. . a) Community Garden b) Flooding in the Parish. c) LDF d) RHALC e) Emergency Plan f) Update on all outstanding Enforcement cases g) Reinstatement of footpaths and bridleways h) Meeting with the developer of land to the north of London Road, welcome to the Parish and information document.

 

 

g) Bus Service h)Trees for the Community Garden i) New Police Scheme for Special Constables j) LDF working party/SHLAA/Fairglen Interchange 

 

 

206. DATE &VENUE OF NEXT MEETING- Council confirmed the date and time of the next Meeting as Wednesday 7th March 2018 at 7.30pm in the Rawreth Village Hall

 

The Meeting closed at 10.40pm

 

 DATED……………………………CHAIRMAN………………………

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF RAWRETH PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 3rd January 2018 AT 7.30pm AT THE VILLAGE HALL RAWRETH

                                          Present: Cllr. A Matthews

                                                     Cllr. P Beckers

                                                     Cllr. Mrs M Beckers

                                                     Cllr.  C Stanley

                                                     Cllr.  S Coombs

                                                     Cllr. Mrs S Wiltshire

                                                     Cllr. M Collins

In Attendance:  The Clerk, 6 members of the public.

 

159.  RECEIVE APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE. None.

 

160. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST. Cllr Chris Stanley declared his position as a District Councillor.

 

161. CO-OPTION OF A NEW COUNCILLOR.  Members co-opted Mark Collins to the Council, his co-option was proposed by Cllr Chris Stanley, seconded by Cllr Mary Beckers and agreed by all Members. The Chairman welcomed Mark to the Council.

 

162. TO APPROVE MINUTES OF LAST MEETING. Minutes of the meeting held on the 6th December 2017 were approved by the Members and accordingly the Chairman signed them as a true copy

 

163. MATTERS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. None

 

164. VILLAGE REPORT- The following matters around the Parish were mentioned, where necessary the Clerk will investigate.

a. Concerned about the amount of street lights out in Rawreth Lane, there are now 7 between Bedloes Corner and Clarkes Cottages, both sides of the road.

b. Another unit appears to have been erected on the Travellers site.

c. Dangerous pothole by the Asda traffic lights, heading west just before the Priory Chase turning.

d. Split in the side of the road junction of Chelmsford Road and Beeches Road, on the Mill side.

e. Essex Police looking towards Parish’s and Towns contributing towards the cost of special constables, Rayleigh TC and Billericay TC are looking to join the scheme.

 

165. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT- Cllr Malcolm Maddocks commented on the subject of street lights and the amount out in Rawreth Lane and advised that ECC have run out of LED lights and the new stock will not be available until the new budget begins in April. Cllr Maddocks asked Members if they would like him to request sodium replacements, all Members were unanimous in saying yes. Cllr Maddocks advised that quite often one lead light will fail which then causes a run to go out which is possibly what has happened in Rawreth Lane.  Cllr Maddocks then spoke about a meeting between Cllr Maddocks, ECC Engineers, Members and Rawreth Flood Action Group to discuss the proposed changes to the Laburnum Way culvert. The Meeting was agreed for Friday the 5th of January at 10am at Laburnum Way, Cllr Matthews, Stanley and Collins confirmed they would attend together with Peter Plummer from the Flood Action Group, Cllr Maddocks reiterated that this meeting was not open to members of the public to attend.  Cllr Maddocks then spoke about the replacement company DART who had successfully won the tender for the Number 3 service. Cllr Maddocks confirmed that the service would be starting asap with an end date of July 2020. Cllr Paul Beckers spoke to advise Cllr Maddocks that he was appalled by the lack of information and help given by ECC when the withdrawal of the service first came to light, Cllr Beckers advised that as the Parish Representative for public transport he had heard nothing, and when he enquired at ECC was told it was nothing to do with them as it was a commercial route.

 

 

 

District Councillor Chris Stanley then addressed the meeting. Cllr Stanley advised that there are a couple of problems at the end of Rawreth Lane Hullbridge Road junction which Essex and Suffok Water are looking into. Also Rawreth Lane needs to be litter picked, Cllr Stanley is arranging for this to be done.

 

166. FINANCE.

a. Cheques for approval.

CHQ 100936 J A Pinkerton Maintenance £192.00. Agreed and signed.

CHQ 100937 H L Bloomfield Expenses £152.57. Agreed and signed.

 

b. Council reviewed the Budget and Precept for 2018-2019.  Members agreed the Precept for the year commencing 1st April 2018 as LCTS Grant of £612.00 Precept of £19,643.00 totally an overall precept amount of £20,255.00 the same as the amount set in 2017, however because of an increase in the Council Tax Base the band D charge will decrease slightly by £1.22.  The proposal was made by Cllr Paul Beckers, seconded by Cllr Chris Stanley and unanimously agreed by the remaining members. The Clerk was thanked for preparing the Budget.

 

167. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION- The following matters around the Parish were mentioned, where necessary the Clerk will investigate.

a. Residents from Laburnum Way and Rawreth Lane would like to be notified of the proposal for the culvert before any work is undertaken, they would also like assurance that the work will not be started until it has been fully agreed that it is the best option and one that will work, the works to increase the height of the banks concerns residents and they would like ECC to work in collaboration with them, the culvert runs through two properties in Rawreth Lane, number 153 and 155. The Clerk asked Cllr Maddocks if the engineers could ensure they viewed these properties when at the site on Friday. Cllr Maddocks confirmed he would make engineers aware and also ask that residents are kept fully appraised of the proposed works.

b. Carpenters Arms roundabout, the grass verge between the roundabout and St Johns drive which is ECC owned has recently been dug up and a trench laid for BT Openreach, the trench has sunk since being backed filled and as this is contentiously used by lorries as a very dangerous short cut from Beke Hall Chase and St Johns Drive onto the roundabout it needs inspecting urgently.

c. The gate at the end of Church Road still has no padlock.

d. Old London Road on the bend past Academy Soccer on the verge there is a sink hole, Academy Soccer have been made aware of it and a board has been placed over it.

e. What’s happening with the field between the Chichester and the properties in Old London Road, there have been surveyors walking around and a lot of activity. The Clerk advised that she had received an email from a design contractor Jacobs who are working on behalf of ECC and Ringway Jacobs regarding a flood alleviation scheme and the road subsidence in this area, the Clerk advised that she would be corresponding with the company and would keep residents appraised.

f. Can a meeting be requested by the Council with Simon Walsh, the SUDS Team and the Rawreth Flood Action Group as requests by the RFAG have been unanswered.

 

168. GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE (to note).

Thank you letters from, The Peaceful Place, RRVAS, The Harbour Club, Essex Air Ambulance, Victim Support, St Nicholas PCC, Interact.  Noted.

 

169. FLOODING IN THE PARISH-  The Clerk read members the email from Jacobs regarding the flood alleviation scheme they have been asked to design on behalf of ECC and Ringway Jacobs for Old London Road where the road has subsided.

 

Cllr Matthews advised Members that a SUDs training course is being held by a private training company which would be very beneficial to the Rawreth Flood Action Group and the Parish as a whole. Cllr Matthews advised that prior to the meeting he had spoken with Peter Plummer the Chairman of RFAG about the course and asked him if he would be willing to attend on behalf of the Council and the Flood Action Group if the Council could agree on paying the cost of the course, Peter had confirmed he would so Cllr Matthews asked Members their thoughts on the matter. Members unanimously agreed that Peter should attend as his knowledge was superior to that of the Council regarding flooding and it was proposed by Cllr Mark Collins and Seconded by Cllr Paul Beckers that Council cover the cost of the Course, being £299.00 plus VAT which is reclaimable by the Council. All Members agreed unanimously.

 

170. LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK PROPOSALS AND THE ALLOCATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT DOCUMENTS AND PLANS . Cllr Stanley advised that he had had no luck with arranging a meeting with the Developer of the Land to the North of London Road Rawerth, and the possibility

 

 

 

of producing an information welcome brochure. The Clerk was asked if she could try and make contact to arrange a meeting. 

 

The Clerk advised Members that she now had a paper copy of the Issues and Options Document which is now open for public consultation. The Clerk confirmed she would read through the document and make bullet point notes, and that a copy of the web link to the document had been forwarded to Members. The Clerk asked that all members familiarise themselves with the document. Cllr Stanley requested that a working party be arranged so that the document could be discussed.

 

171. UPDATES REGARDING ENFORCEMENT CASES IN THE PARISH and REPORTED PROBLEMS BEING MONITORED IN THE PARISH.

 a. Land to the West of the Pumping Station. No update to report.

b. Land Drain London Road (adjacent to Claremont) No update or progress to report with regards to the problem with the land drain disgorging onto the pavement.

c. Travellers Site (A1245). No update or progress to report with regards to Enforcement following the appeal hearing decision given on the 7th of December 2011. 

d. Old London Road Speed Restrictions and other matters. This matter is to be referred to the Cabinet Member for Highways.

e. Beeches Road Weight Restrictions and Beeches Road and Watery Lane Flooding. Council to discuss any developments regarding Beeches Road/Watery Lane. No update to report.

f. Bedloes Avenue. No updates to report with regards to the Council’s request for an off street parking area in Bedloes Avenue.

g. Laburnum Culvert. See item 165. A Meeting is scheduled for Friday the 5th of January at 10am with Engineers from County Highways, Cllr Matthews, Stanley and Collins and Peter Plummer from Rawreth Flood Action Group.

 

172. TO RECEIVE REPRESENTATIVES WRITTEN REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED. None.

 

173. RHALC. Cllr Beckers confirmed the next meeting is scheduled for the 18th of January 2018.

 

174. PARISH EMERGENCY PLAN- The Clerk advised that she is progressing the Parish Emergency Plan.

 

175. COMMUNITY GARDEN- No updates to report regarding the Community Garden.

 

176.  TRAINING- The Clerk advised Members that she had details of available training courses.

 

 177. REINSTATEMENT OF FOOTPATHS/BRIDLE WAYS IN THE PARISH. No updates to report.

 

178. PLANNING MATTERS- There were no planning applications received prior to the Meeting which had not been dealt with under Delegated Power.

 

179. WITHDRAWAL OF THE NUMBER 1 AND NUMBER 3 BUS SERVICE. See item 165.

 

180. RE CAP OF AGENDA ITEMS ON WHICH THE PUBLIC MAY WISH TO COMMENT. None.

 

181. ITEMS FOR NEXT AGENDA. . a) Community Garden b) Flooding in the Parish. c) LDF d) RHALC e) Emergency Plan f) Update on all outstanding Enforcement cases g) Reinstatement of footpaths and bridleways h) Meeting with the developer of land to the north of London Road, welcome to the Parish and information document. g) Bus Service h)Trees for the Community Garden i) New Police Scheme for Special Constables j) LDF working party/SHLAA  

 

182. DATE &VENUE OF NEXT MEETING- 158. DATE &VENUE OF NEXT MEETING- Council confirmed the date and time of the next Meeting as Wednesday 7th February 2018 at 7.30pm in the Rawreth Village Hall

 

The Meeting closed at 9.40pm

 

 DATED……………………………CHAIRMAN………………………